FOR FOOD WORKERS
Gas leaks can cause explosions and expose you to carbon monoxide.*
When you see a large, yellow, flickering flame, or smell rotten eggs or sulfur, these may be signs that there is a problem with the equipment.
- Immediately tell your supervisor and leave the
- Do not turn any electrical switches or equipment on or off.
- Do not use your phone.
- Do not light any matches or smoke.
- These could set off an explosion.
Do not return to the building until a trained authority tells you that the building is safe.
YOUR SUPERVISOR SHOULD DO THE FOLLOWING
- If there is a gas leak:
- Clear the building; leave doors and windows open.
- Call 911 from a cell phone outside the building or a phone in another building.
- Turn the gas supply off at the meter.
- To prevent gas leaks or exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Make sure all gas equipment is installed and vented correctly.
- Have all gas equipment (flues, pipes, connections and safety devices) maintained and checked regularly by a trained professional.
- Never hang anything from gas pipes; this could loosen the fittings or cause damage to the pipes.
- Always follow lockout/tagout* procedures for your facility.
- Carbon Monoxide - Carbon monoxide is very toxic gas. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, flammable. It is formed from incomplete burning of carbon, from products such as gasoline.
- Lockout/Tagout - the standard that covers the servicing and maintenance o machines and equipment in which the uexpected energization or start up of the machine or equipment, or release of stored energy could cause injury to employees.